Portuguese Seafood Stew made with clams, shrimp, scallops and chorizo comes together in minutes! Serve it with some crusty bread and enjoy!
Portuguese Seafood Stew
This Portuguese Seafood Stew is simple and delicious. It’s loaded with fresh seafood and flavored with garlic, onion, white wine, bay leaf, and parsley. You can pretty much use whatever seafood you prefer, like mussels, lobster, crab, or even fish. For some other seafood stew recipes you might like, try this Coconut Broth Clams with Lemongrass and Jamaican Coconut Shrimp Stew.
How to Make Seafood Stew
This Portuguese seafood stew will be ready for dinner in just a few quick steps.
- Sauté the garlic and onion until soft.
- Add the chorizo, tomatoes, wine, bay leaf, ¼ cup of the parsley, and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the clams, cover the pot, and cook for about five minutes until the clams open.
- Stir in the shrimp and scallops and cook for a few minutes.
What do you eat seafood stew with?
Serve this stew with some good crusty bread to soak up the juice. To round out the meal, make a salad to go with it.
Variations & Tips:
- Switch out any of the seafood with crab, lobster, or a white fish like cod or halibut, or feel free to double up on any and omit another kind.
- If you can’t find clams, use mussels or double the shrimp.
- Throw out any of the clams that are still closed after cooking them.
- If you don’t eat pork, sub the chorizo for chicken, turkey, or soy chorizo.
- Want more flavor? Swap the water for clam juice or add anchovies.
- When cooking with wine, make sure to use good wine that you would actually drink. If you don’t want to cook with wine, you could substitute it with clam juice.
- Swap the parsley for cilantro.
More Seafood Recipes You’ll Love:
Portuguese Seafood Stew
Portuguese Seafood Stew made with clams, shrimp, scallops and chorizo comes together in minutes!
- 3 dozen little neck clams, scrubbed and clean
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb bay scallops
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1.75 oz 1 link chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine, I used Pinot Grigio
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
In a large heavy pot, saute garlic and onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, until soft.
Add chorizo, tomatoes, wine, bay leaf, 1/4 cup parsley, salt and pepper and simmer 5 minutes.
Add the clams, mix well and cover.
Cook about 5 minutes or until all the clams open (discard any closed clams).
Add shrimp and scallops and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, until seafood is completely cooked and the shrimp are opaque.
Ladle into bowls and top with a little fresh parsley.
Serving: 1/4th of recipe, Calories: 376kcal, Carbohydrates: 9.7g, Protein: 50g, Fat: 11g, Sodium: 913.6mg, Fiber: 0.9g, Sugar: 0.1g
Blue Smart Points: 4
Green Smart Points: 9
Purple Smart Points: 4
Points +: 8
Keywords: seafood recipes, seafood soup, seafood stew